Eureka Springs, Arkansas was built on the healing reputation of its numerous mountainside springs. Named by its settlers in 1897, the village experienced rapid growth as its visitors became its citizens. All who came and contributed to the area’s population believed the natural spring waters possessed the cure they were looking for and would put them on the road to recovery. As a world renowned health resort of the Victorian era, Eureka Springs lived a long life in a short time before the wheels of world commerce broke down in 1929 and the city was lost to the remote backwoods of the Ozark Mountains.
Today, partially because the entire city has been placed on the “National Register of Historic Places,” Eureka Springs has been born again. Visitors from around the world once again enjoy the hand-hewn stone hotels, bathhouses, churches, civic and commercial buildings that still serve and adorn the city. The narrow tree lined streets that wind through neighborhoods of beautiful Victorian homes and gingerbread cottages attract a variety of folks who enjoy taking time out from the “real world.”